12 Mar 2012
How to design your web site.
A good web design is critical for retaining visitors, so good web site has to be clean, professional, and easy to navigate. The human mind takes just a millisecond to make a definitive decision as to a site's credibility, and this initial judgment is based mostly on visual impression of the web site.
We have some useful tips and tricks for designing the really visually impressive website:
1) Plan Your Site: Before turning on your computer, consider the layout, page structure and how users will move from one page to another (navigation). Then, sketch out your site on paper.
2) Know Your Audience: Knowing your audience will help set the tone for your content and layout, as you identify what visitors will be looking for on your site. It's also important to consider popular web browsers and your visitor's screen resolution size so that they see your site the way you intended; you can find this data in most site analytics tools. If you're not sure how wide to make your site, 960px is a great place to start.
3) Easy Navigation: Since people often read from left to right and top to bottom, the upper left-hand corner of your site is the first place your visitors will look. Place your navigation buttons here and keep them consistent, along with font and color choices, for easy reading and fluid movement from page to page.
4) Web Site Color Scheme: If you're designing your site around an image, try uploading it to a color palette tool, like DeGraeve.com's, for example, for complementary color suggestions. Be sure to remain consistent with your design patterns, and stick to no more than three font types and colours.
5) High Quality Photos and Images: In order to give your site a more professional appearance, all images should be clear, focused, and of high resolution. An alternative to taking your own photos is buying them; at about five-dollars an image it's an inexpensive way to visually take your website to the next level.
6) Test Your Site, Then Test Again: When you've created or redesigned your site, ask friends and family to test it for you. They may find things you've missed, or point out areas of confusion. Use different browsers for your tests. The most popular browsers are: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Mozilla, Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari.
Follow our tips and this will help to retain first-time visitors and transform them into your web site regular visitors.
SEO ranking – avoid trivial mistakes in SEO rankings
Search Engine Optimisation Tips For Google Top Ranking
Some common AdWords mistakes you should avoid
About DMOZ, a.k.a. The Open Directory Project (ODP)
Core Tips For DMOZ Listings